Wow did 2017 really just happen? From an amazing summer internship in Manhattan, to a new relationship, watching my Instagram & blog grow the way it has, and even earning straight A’s (….and one B+), this year was my best year yet. Nothing is ever perfect though, so in all of the highs and lows, I learned so much. Here’s a round-up of the top 17 things I learned in the last 365 days.
- Manhattan is definitely my home. I get tears in my eyes when I think of the sunsets, the opportunities, long walks in Central Park, new friends, and even trips to the grocery store on Park Ave. I can’t wait to move there in 2018!
- It’s possible to be too much and not enough for someone who can be everything and nothing at all. This sounds like it contradicts itself, but if you’ve been there, you get it.
- Fall in love with yourself first. It is so true that you can’t give away from an empty cup. If you are trying to find love in someone else in order to feel loved yourself, that’s not going to work.
- Apologies are good, but they are not enough.
- Love is good, but that is not enough.
- No one ever became poor from giving. When you’re at the drive thru, or grocery shopping, or whatever it is, and the cashier asks “would you like to round up your bill” or “would you like to donate $1 to the *insert cause/charity here*, just say yes. Are you really going to miss that dollar?
- How you treat yourself is how you teach others to treat you. I realized I was letting people walk all over me in some situations, and then I learned that they saw me do that to myself. That’s why they thought it was okay. Have self-respect, whatever that means to you, and the way you speak about and care for yourself will show others how they should treat you.
- Some people won’t support you until you give them something to brag about
- I can do anything I set my mind to! I have limited myself so much just by thinking I couldn’t do something. Once I began putting myself out there, I learned so much about myself.
- Blogging is more work than I thought, but I really do love it. I’ve met amazing people and had the opportunity to work with brands that I didn’t ever think would even know I existed!
- People are going to think and say whatever they want. Be the type of person that has such a solid character that people think “what? that’s not something they would say/do”. Be a good person, and constantly work on yourself to be better than who you were yesterday
- If you’re looking for a reason to leave or for something wrong in any person or situation, you’ll find it. No one is perfect, no relationship is perfect, no day is perfect.
- Be grateful for more things. Whenever I hear myself say “ugh I wish I didn’t have to do this”, or “this is so annoying”, I try to verbally acknowledge a few things I am grateful for in that moment.
- I need to stop saying “sorry” so much! Women do this a lot, and once I realized I do it too, I felt so silly! Why am I apologizing for stuff that doesn’t need an apology?
- It’s important to say sorry when you need to. Own up to it when you really mess up. If you hurt someone, don’t say, “I’m sorry if I hurt you”. Say, “I’m sorry I hurt you”. Whatever it is. It does not make you weak to apologize. That’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard! Just own up to it, learn from it, and move on.
- Cut people out when you need to. It’s just not worth it to hold onto someone or something because of their “potential”. Actions speak louder than words and even though I thought I learned that last year, I definitely have learned it now!
- I love Broadway shows! I wasn’t sure what I would think, but I went to about one every week or two this summer and fell in love.
2017 was the absolute best year of my life, obviously with the summer as the highlight of it. I am so thankful for all of my many blessings, and can’t wait to see what’s ahead of me for 2018.