No regrets. Just lessons learned.
I can’t speak for everyone, but I think a lot of people can agree with the fact that 2016 was challenging to say the least. If this year was a relationship, it would be pretty toxic. With super high highs, and incredibly low lows, it felt like it would never end! I live in North Carolina so we had everything from clowns, wild fires, drought, Pat McCrory & HB2, growing racial tensions, and everything else in between. Personally, I had very high highs and low lows as well. Heartache, declining health, and financial burdens made me wonder if I would ever make it to 2017, but the best of friends, God, and really good naps helped me push through! Here are 16 things that I learned in 2016.
- Take road trips alone
- Phone calls are better than texts
- Your health is more important than your grades, clubs, your sorority, and your social life. Make your health a priority!
- If anyone lies to you, whether that be a boyfriend, best friend, friend, etc., stop giving them the time of day. If they lie once, they’ll do it again.
- Just because you see the potential in someone to be great, they have to make that decision for themselves. Don’t settle for spending any time with anyone that is less than what you deserve.
- It doesn’t matter how tired you are…take off your makeup before you go to bed.
- Don’t stay in a relationship with someone just because you’ve been together for a while. Every day you should wake up with a smile on your face whether you’ve been in that relationship for five months or five years. If things are going south even after you’ve been with them for a while, it’s okay to leave if thats what you want. As a sweet friend said to me, “you will find someone that thinks you’ve hung the moon!” If you’re reading this, thank you. I will always remember that and will tell my daughters that one day too.
- Making plans for a future with someone doesn’t mean anything unless there’s a ring on your finger.
- Living alone is hard but you will learn a lot about yourself with all of the extra time you have to think!
- Take more pictures, but be better about spending time in the present.
- No one looks back on their life and remembers the nights they got plenty of sleep!
- Say yes to more things, but also know that it’s okay to say “no”.
- Say what you mean, and mean what you say. There’s a huge difference between intention and impact.
- God is SO GOOD. As hard as this whole year was, He remains constant and above all! God will heal you, guide you, love you, provide for you, and everything else He promises to do in His word!! If He’s done it once, He’ll do it again!
I recently turned 20, so I am watching myself grow so much and so fast. I’m looking forward to bringing these lessons with me to 2017 and seeing what new things I’ll learn in the next 365 days! Are you able to relate to any of these things? What lessons did you learn this year?